Prices and Cover
- What cover is included in the hire price?
Our prices include compulsory insurance for collision & theft with an excess. To waiver the excess and the deposit, you can choose our Smart Cover.
- Do I need to leave a deposit when I collect the car? Even if I pay using a credit card?
Yes, you must leave a deposit to cover you for any eventuality. The amount can vary and depends on the car group selected. This amount will be released on return of the vehicle and after checking there are no new damages.
Depending on the method of payment chosen, different conditions apply for the deposit.
If payment is with a credit or debit card: Depending on the car group chosen, you must leave a deposit of between 900€ - 2100€ on your credit card to guarantee the excess to cover for any possible damages. To avoid this deposit you can choose our SMART cover. This deposit on your card will be refunded at the end of your rental if there are no new damages to the vehicle. In case of an accident or damages to the vehicle, you will be charged the maximum amount of the excess. For Portugal, a 100€ deposit will be charged to your debit or credit card to cover possible Via Verde toll charges. We do not accept prepaid cards, American Express, Maestro or Diners Club.
We do accept cash for payment of the car hire along with a credit card (NOT DEBIT) to charge the deposit as a guarantee, except in Italy or Greece where cash is not accepted.
Portugal: you are required to provide proof of a return travel ticket or pay a deposit on your credit card for the excess amount applicable to your vehicle regardless of the package you have chosen for your rental.
- What is included in the additional SMART cover?
For a minimum cost our Smart cover allows you to travel with total peace of mind and with the certain guarantee of no extra costs in case of accident or damage to the car.
The Compulsory Insurance and the SMART COVER will be valid as long as the following conditions are met:
- In the event of a collision or damage to the vehicle , the customer must provide Centauro Rent a Car with an accident report form (located inside the vehicle) with all the information of the third party involved as well as any possible witnesses within 48 hours of the accident, This must be signed by the two drivers involved in the accident as well as the police report if applicable.
- The collision, theft, fire, did not take place during unauthorized use.
- Does my insurance from a different company cover my Centauro Rent a Car?
If you have purchased an annual policy or additional insurance/cover from your credit card or the travel agents/broker where you made your reservation, take into consideration that this insurance/cover is NOT provided directly by Centauro Rent a Car.
Therefore, you are liable to pay the deposit amount or any excess in case of damage to the vehicle and claim the reimbursement of this amount from the company where you have purchased your insurance/cover from.
- What is not included by any cover?
• Loss of child seats.
• Loss/Damage/Theft of keys, aerials, jack, safety triangles and vests, windscreen wipers, petrol cap, luggage covers, or any other fixed or mobile component of the vehicle.
• Damage to the engine through negligence.
• Theft of the vehicle with keys left in the ignition.
• Fines for traffic offences or violations of the law during the rental period are the responsibility of the driver of the vehicle. In the event of receiving a fine, for each communicated fine the amount of €40 will be charged as a penalty for breach of contract in Spain, Portugal and Greece and €50 in Italy.
• Refueling with the wrong type of petrol.
• Loss/Damage/Theft of personal belongings.
- Can I travel with my car rental to a different country?
If you decide to travel to another country with your car hire then you will need to add our special cross border cover. You can add this cover during the booking process.
If your booking is for collection at any of our offices in Spain (mainland), this will allow you to travel to Spain, France, Andorra or Portugal.
If your booking is for collection at any of our offices in Portugal (mainland), this will allow you to travel to Spain or Portugal.
For car hire collections in Italy, our cross border cover will allow you to travel to France, Monaco, Switzerland, Austria or San Marino only. Vehicles cannot be taken from mainland Italy to any island. For Greece, it is not permitted to drive outside the country.
It is not permitted for cargo vans, groups L1, L2, L3, M1 to travel outside of Spain.
Note: Vehicles collected at any of our locations cannot be taken on any ferry to/between/from any islands or countries.
- What is included in the hire price?
Our prices include:
- Unlimited mileage *(except for cargo vans and for reservations between 30 & 60 days inclusive)
- Applicable local taxes (VAT)
- Compulsory insurance with excess*
- Replacement car in case of accident.
- No charge for cancellations.
- Airport service.
- Option of paying on arrival.
- Emergency Contact service
*If you want to avoid the excess and deposit, add our SMART Cover to your reservation
- Can I book over the phone and still get the web price?
On our website you can find our best offers for your car hire, however you can also make your reservation over the phone.
- Do I need to leave a deposit?
If you decide not to select our SMART cover, then you will need to leave a deposit. This deposit will depend on the vehicle group that you have chosen for your rental. Please take into account that we must ensure that we are covered for any eventuality. The deposit will be unblocked at the end of your rental if no damages have been registered on the vehicle.
If you choose the SMART cover then it will not be necessary to leave a deposit because both the vehicle, driver and passengers will be covered as stated in our general rental conditions. In Portugal, a charge of 100€ will be made from the credit or debit card as a deposit to cover possible Via Verde toll charges. Credit/Debit cards must be nominative. We do not accept prepaid cards, American Express, Maestro or Diners Club.
Portugal: You are required to provide proof of a return travel ticket or pay a deposit on your credit card for the excess amount applicable to your vehicle regardless of the package you have chosen for your rental.