Prices and Cover
What cover is included in the car hire price? Do I need to leave a deposit when I collect the car? Even if I pay using a credit card? What is included in the additional SMART cover? Does my insurance from a different company cover my Centauro Rent a Car? What is not included by any cover? Can I travel with my car rental to a different country?
What is included in the hire price?
Our prices include:
- Unlimited mileage - Except Madrid & Barcelona (Airport & Train station)
- Applicable local taxes (VAT)
- Compulsory insurance with excess*
- Replacement car in case of accident.
- No charge for cancellations.
- Airport service.
- Option of paying on arrival.
- Emergency Contact service
*If you want to avoid the excess and deposit, add our SMART Cover to your reservation
Can I book over the phone and still get the web price?
On our website you can find our best offers for your car hire, however you can also make your reservation over the phone.
Do I need to leave a deposit?
If you decide not to select our SMART cover, then you will need to leave a deposit. This deposit will depend on the vehicle group that you have chosen for your rental. Please take into account that we must ensure that we are covered for any eventuality. The deposit will be unblocked at the end of your rental if no damages have been registered on the vehicle.
If you choose the SMART cover then it will not be necessary to leave a deposit because both the vehicle, driver and passengers will be covered as stated in our general rental conditions. In Portugal, if you pay using a debit card and choose the SMART cover, a deposit of 300€ will be charged to your card and then returned at the end of the rental (valid for all car types and locations). Debit cards must be nominative. We do not accept prepaid cards, Visa Electron, American Express, Maestro or Diners Club.
What cover is included in the hire price?
Our prices include compulsory insurance for collision & theft with an excess. To waiver the excess and the deposit, you can choose our Smart Cover.
Do I need to leave a deposit when I collect the car? Even if I pay using a credit card?
Yes, you must leave a deposit to cover you for any eventuality. The amount can vary and depends on the car group selected. This amount will be released on return of the vehicle and after checking there are no new damages.
Depending on the method of payment chosen, different conditions apply for the deposit.
If payment is with a credit card: Depending on the car group chosen, you must leave a deposit of between 1050€-3000€ on your credit card to guarantee the excess to cover for any possible damages. To avoid this deposit you can choose our SMART cover.
If payment is with a debit card: You will be charged between 1050€-3000€ if you do not take our SMART cover. This charge on your card will be refunded at the end of your rental if there are no new damages to the vehicle. In case of an accident or damages to the vehicle, you will be charged the maximum amount of the excess. To avoid this deposit you can choose our SMART cover. In Portugal, if payment is with a debit card and you choose the SMART cover, a deposit of 300€ will be made to your card. Debit cards must be nominative. We do not accept prepaid cards, Visa Electron, American Express, Maestro or Diners Club.
We do accept cash for payment of the car hire along with a credit card (NOT DEBIT) as a guarantee, except in Italy and Greece where cash is not accepted.
No deposit will be required if you choose our SMART cover as both the vehicle, driver and occupants will be covered for any eventaulity as described in our commercial conditions. Only in Portugal will you need to leave a deposit of 300€ if you choose the SMART cover and pay with a debit card.
What is included in the additional SMART cover?
For a minimum cost our Smart cover allows you to travel with total peace of mind and with the certain guarantee of no extra costs in case of accident or damage to the car.
The Compulsory Insurance and the SMART COVER will be valid as long as the following conditions are met:
- In the event of a collision or damage to the vehicle , the customer must provide Centauro Rent a Car with an accident report form (located inside the vehicle) with all the information of the third party involved as well as any possible witnesses within 48 hours of the accident, This must be signed by the two drivers involved in the accident as well as the police report if applicable.
- The collision, theft, fire, did not take place during unauthorized use.
Does my insurance from a different company cover my Centauro Rent a Car?
If you have purchased an annual policy or additional insurance/cover from your credit card or the travel agents/broker where you made your reservation, take into consideration that this insurance/cover is NOT provided directly by Centauro Rent a Car.
Therefore, you are liable to pay the deposit amount or any excess in case of damage to the vehicle and claim the reimbursement of this amount from the company where you have purchased your insurance/cover from.
What is not included by any cover?
• Loss of child seats.
• Loss/Damage/Theft of keys, aerials, jack, safety triangles and vests, windscreen wipers, petrol cap, luggage covers, or any other fixed or mobile component of the vehicle.
• Damage to the engine through negligence.
• Theft of the vehicle with keys left in the ignition.
• Fines due to breaking traffic laws and regulations during the hire period are the responsibility of the driver of the vehicle. In the event of a fine being received an administration handling fee of 40€ will be applicable for Spain, Portugal & Greece and 50€ for Italy.
• Refueling with the wrong type of petrol.
• Loss/Damage/Theft of personal belongings.
Can I travel with my car rental to a different country?
If you decide to travel to another country with your car hire then you will need to add our special cross border cover. You can add this cover during the booking process. For any of our offices located in Spain & Portugal you can cross border to Spain, Portugal, France or Andorra.
For car hire collections in Italy, our cross border cover will allow you to travel to France, Monaco, Switzerland, Austria or San Marino only. Vehicles cannot be taken from mainland Italy to any island.
For Greece, it is not permitted to drive outside the country
Note: Vehicles collected at any of our locations cannot be taken on any ferry to/between/from any islands or countries.