Car Hire with snow chains
If at your destination you have snow or ice, then we highly recommend that you add the Snow chains to your reservation, these are inexpensive and gives you peace of mind to prepare your car for any possible climate eventuality.
Don’t let the snow or ice prevent you from making the most of your car rental. In most cases you can continue driving in these areas by simply adding snow chains to the car tyres. On today’s tyres it is very simple to put them on and this will let you continue your journey which could be very difficult without the chains. Having peace of mind that your car has snow chains is just a click away. Add this extra to your car rental when you make your booking on our website. Or if the weather surprises you, you can ask for them directly at our office (subject to availability).
If you are not sure how to put snow chains on your car, then just ask a member of staff and they can give you instructions on how to do so. Nevertheless, here is a brief tutorial on how to use them.
Car hire with snow chains
There are many different types of Snow chains available, here we give a brief description of 2 of the most popular kind. Snow chains are placed on the drive wheels.
Snow socks or fabric snow chains
- These are easier to place on the tyres and work just as well. The only problem is if you use them on roads with no snow they will deteriorate quickly.
- To put them on, all you need to do is to place it over the whole tyre the right way round, then you just cover the tyre starting from the top and then move the car forward slightly to continue covering the rest of the tyre.
- These are slightly more difficult to put on but more resistant.
- First thing you need to do is to roll them out flat on the floor to make sure that the chain is tangle free. The first step is the most difficult as you need to fit to the drive wheel by feeding the chain behind the tyre
- Lift both ends of the plastic cable to the top of the tyre and join hoop together. Connect the hook to the colored chain, ease hoop over back of tyre, take loose section of chain and place in the tightening ratchet, pull tight and hook up excess chain.
- Drive forward slightly to give a final tension
- Always remember that the maximum speed when using snow chains is 50km/Hour and you must take them off your tyres as soon as the road is clear.
At Centauro Rent a Car we always recommend the use of snow chains in situations where driving normally your tyres could cause you to swerve