Do you like to travel all year round? In that case we recommend that you consider which option is best for you: driving with winter tires or with all-season tires.
How should we choose tires in winter?
We bring you the best tips for choosing tires in winter. Decide for yourself which is the best option for enjoying your #Roadtrips in complete safety. Choosing the right tires is crucial for your safety since they give you stability and grip. If you're a traveler and you usually take on challenges or plan winter getaways, winter tires are a must.
Why choose winter tires: main advantages
Just as you choose the footwear that is right for every medium and season of the year, more and more travelers are choosing to drive with winter tires for their cars when it is cold out. Although these tires are more expensive than conventional tires, this small investment is worthwhile. Because they allow you to travel with high levels of grip, strength and stability, which is essential in adverse weather conditions.
Qualities of winter tires
The chemical composition of their rubber makes it more durable and flexible, even at temperatures less than 7 ºC. Your vehicle will grip and move around the road much better.
Their surface incorporates numerous slats and edges that enhance their traction. If you're driving on snow, these patterns make gripping easier and prevent uncontrolled slippage. Their grip is based on a caterpillar effect: they pinch the snow, which holds them to it.
- They also have a very deep pattern, which is well over 1.6 millimeters. Why is this so important? Because in winter, we also drive in rain and hail more often. Be that as it may, if you use good tires suited for these conditions, nothing out of the ordinary will happen.
Tips for choosing your winter tires
What is it that you need to know when selecting tires in winter? The right tires are M+S (Mud & Snow), and you have to select them taking into account these basics:
- Measurements and technical data. Consult the manual of your vehicle, which will include the appropriate models, since all models are not always compatible.
- Beware of discounts. Unless you go to an absolutely reliable supplier, you should be careful and check the date of manufacture of the tires: if they were produced more than 4 years ago, don't buy them.
- Don’t trust false brands. You don't need to choose the top brands and the most expensive tires, but likewise you should not trust the most unfamiliar ones. Always look for references.
- Look at the pattern. If possible, choose tires that have the pattern extending sideways on the tread. This is an interesting factor.
Winter tires, the alternative to snow chains
Do you know how to put snow chains on your vehicle? Practice this skill and be prepared to use it. In any case, we remind you that you can choose between winter tires or snow chains, because you have the possibility of substituting winter tires for snow chains on most occasions.
These tires will provide you with superior performance as far as grip, traction, braking distance and control. They are also much quieter, and it is not uncomfortable to put them on. So, if it is below 7ºC, don't complicate your life: just put on these tires.
This is the name given to permanent or all-weather tires, which provide good performance in winter and summer. They work exceptionally well on snow, water and ice, especially when temperatures are not extreme. They are therefore a good option, although we recommend using M+S tires below 7°C.
Now, you've got the keys. Take your time to choose the best option for your car, whether it's winter or all-season tires, and turn your winter into a fast track to adventure!